Neue Mälzerei – Friedenstr. 91, 10249 Berlin, Germany
100 years ago was something really happening between Friedensstraße and Landsberger Allee in Berlin Friedrichshain. On the 3,000 m² site of the Brauerei Böhmisches Brauhaus brewery, most of the beer was produced for weddings in Berlin. Today, the brewery still has the new malt house – a perfectly restored example of industrial history in Berlin – whose EG and 5th floors are now used as an event location for seminars.
The listed building of the mechanical-pneumatic malthouse belonged to the brewery Bohemian Brauhaus and was built in 1898/99 according to plans by Arthur Rohmer. As in the share brewery Friedrichshöhe, Rohmer used neo-Roman forms in the wall and window design.
In 1868, Armand Knoblauch founded the Bohemian Brauhaus, modeled on a Bohemian pattern factory, with the aim of producing a bright, noble beer. The ascending terrain between Landsberger Allee and Friedenstraße with a height difference of up to 10 m allowed the construction of three interconnected two- and three-storey storage cells. To the Brauhaus belonged also the restoration “Elysium” with festivals and beer garden for approx. 2,000 guests.
The Bohemian Brauhaus achieved an unprecedented rise: By 1874 the brewery could increase its sales to 136,000 hectoliters. This meant that the Bohemian Brauhaus was at the top of the Berlin breweries. In 1883 the first ice machine from Linde was put up, 1898 the first Daimler Bierauto in Berlin. In the same year, the new malthouse was built. In 1908, the “Pilsator” brand name was created by means of a price list.
In 1910, the company was converted into a stock corporation and, after the First World War, merged with the Löwenbrauerei to the Löwenbrauerei-Böhmisches Brauhaus AG. In 1938, production rose to 420,000 hectoliters.
At the end of the war in 1945, the brewery’s buildings were largely destroyed or damaged. Beer production was not resumed at this location. From 1952 to 1992 the area served as a Berlin wine cellar and was the largest wine warehouse in the GDR. The building of the former malt house was used, among other things, by the wholesale Kontor shoes as storage space, the old brewhouse served as a gymnasium until 2001. In addition to various workshops and storage areas, a substation was built on the Brewery site in the early 1970s.
The history of the Bohemian Brauhauses was continued for three decades in the western part of Berlin. After the expropriation of the Braustätten located in East Berlin, the company was relocated to the Bergschloss-Brauerei AG in West Berlin, In 1978 the Schultheiss Brauerei AG took over the Löwenbrauerei-Böhmisches Brauhaus AG. In 1980 she went to the Dortmunder Union-Schultheiss Brauerei AG.
The building of the new malthouse was restored and expanded exclusively after the turn of 1999 to 2001. Since 2004, the 5th floor and parts of the ground floor have been rented as a seminar and event location. In the domes, originally used for the drying of the malt, meetings, seminars and other events took place since then.